Custom Search
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
I am a graduate of the Sauder School of Business at UBC. Upon entering this program, I had no clue what I wanted to do beyond completing it with flying colours. Four and a half years, one marketing specialization, one student exchange to Mexico, and three co-op terms later, I have come no closer to figuring it all out. Although I am a realist in knowing that business and money make the world go round, I am an equal idealist in loathing everything about that notion. So it is at this crossroad of life known as post-secondary graduation where I stand uncertainly poised to fight the banal and predictable life-path of a commerce graduate.

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Highlights

It seems that I have unwittingly designed my trip to escalate slowly in difficulty as I get to each new country. Starting in Great Britain and Ireland allowed me to get my feet wet so to speak since it was all in English with little culture shock. Moving on to France, I was still slightly in my element with my high school French (which was surprisingly better than my Spanish despite years of neglect). From there, my less than stellar Spanish got me by in most of Spain and a combination of both French and Spanish managed to save me more than once in a mostly Arabic Morocco. Now I'm here in Italy, and outside of reverting to English or French for most people in the big cities, I have nothing up my sleeve for smaller towns... hand gestures have become surprisingly "handy" (insert nerdy laugh here). Anyways (a bit sidetracked there) the whole point of this story was to say that because of this I have a bit less time to chat when I get on the internet. Navigating websites, booking trains, buses, and hostels becomes ten times more difficult when it's not in English so I have less time to dedicate to this blog:( It doesn't mean I've fallen off the face of the earth, just that I'm making the most of slow and often expensive internet time.
So are we all ready for a very brief update?

Spain:

San Sebastian - Beaching, running, small historic cities, pinchos and hanging out with an Irishman, Swede, and my Australian friend Ron until the wee hours of the morning.

Madrid - Bliss, family, Sangria, seeing the sights with my cousin and his girlfriend/friends (Ron made a another guest appearance as well), late nights out again, running, motorcycling, mucho eating.

Segovia - The most amazing house, sightseeing, eating baby pigs at one of the most famous restaurants in Spain.

Morocco:

Going there: See previous post

Rabat: seeing the sights, baby time with Anissa, long lost friend time with Sara, beaching, souk, food, food, FOOD!

Coming back: venturing out to see the sights, too harassed to continue, hiding out in a bus station for 4 hours, helping a Czech boy smuggle hashish across the border in his sandals, pakistani protector.

Barcelona - Festival of St. Juan madness, Gaudi gawking, beaching, blowing through check out, fancy schmanzy dinner

France:

About to get kicked off...tune in until next time.

No comments: