Custom Search
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
I am a graduate of the Sauder School of Business at UBC. Upon entering this program, I had no clue what I wanted to do beyond completing it with flying colours. Four and a half years, one marketing specialization, one student exchange to Mexico, and three co-op terms later, I have come no closer to figuring it all out. Although I am a realist in knowing that business and money make the world go round, I am an equal idealist in loathing everything about that notion. So it is at this crossroad of life known as post-secondary graduation where I stand uncertainly poised to fight the banal and predictable life-path of a commerce graduate.

Monday, June 22, 2009

Trying to wing it

I know there´s a bunch missing about Spain but I´ve been very busy soaking up every ounce of my Spanish family and my trip oasis (aka their beautiful homes). That being said, I´ve just left today and am now enjoying the amazing city of Barcelona (Sagrada familia + Me = awestruck). Anyways, I have a bit of a tummy ache at the moment, so I´ve decided to spend my first night telling you all about the trip to Morocco I finished a few days ago.

To be honest, I was a little bit intimidated by the thought of doing Morocco by myself. So when I found out that one of my best friends from high school was going to be there visiting her family while I was in Madrid, I jumped on the chance to go. Fate was calling. I found a reputable bus company, and booked a one way, overnight ticket to Tangiers. From there I decided I would change over to a train to get to my final destination: Rabat. Considering all my previous travelling it seemed like a good plan.

My night on the bus with a trailer, broken chairs, broken lights, and a driver that only spoke arabic didn´t phase me (tuckered me out, yes). The constant unknown of where I was supposed to go to get on/off the ferry in order not to lose the bus and my luggage on the other side was mildly worrisome (again arabic bus driver). The stares of male passengers as if I were alien life form were eventually forgotten. Paying off the customs officials and then the driver once in Tangiers, piece of cake. Non-functioning cell phone and therefore no means of contacting my friend to figure out where to go once I was in Rabat...most disconcerting moment of my trip so far. I ended up befriending 3 Moroccan guys on the ferry who all spoke french or spanish (and arabic of course) and who ended up being, without a doubt, my guardian angels. I honestly don´t think I would have survived it all without them. When my friend couldn´t get in touch with me, I really considered going to stay with them in Casablanca.

Anyways, I decided to take my chances on Rabat. After the bus dropped me off on the side of the road instead of the actual station (I officially hate you Eurolines), I wandered aimlessly around the station for a half hour hoping that my friend would miraculously show up. As the sun started to set, I realized I needed a plan B and fast. A functioning internet cafe (which I would learn later, was fairly hard to come by in Morocco) ended up saving my life I think. I topped up my cell phone with credit, found a hotel, and finally found a map of the city. One hour later, my friend finally got through on the cell. She found me by the side of a fountain, dazed and eternally grateful to see her...rose in hand from one of the many guys who had quickly realized I was alone, female and foreign.

More to come...need to lie down now

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey! I was wondering what happened to you - glad everything worked out. I'll always admire your ability to take a leap of faith and just go for it.
BTW, I love that all these guys keep coming to your rescue. Can you imagine someone less attractive (I won't name names just in case, but you get an idea...) trying the same? She'd be eating out of trash bins in Morocco still. Haha.

Miss you!

Annabelle said...

WHO are you talking about...I kept forgetting to ask! lol