Custom Search
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
I am a graduate of the Sauder School of Business at UBC. Upon entering this program, I had no clue what I wanted to do beyond completing it with flying colours. Four and a half years, one marketing specialization, one student exchange to Mexico, and three co-op terms later, I have come no closer to figuring it all out. Although I am a realist in knowing that business and money make the world go round, I am an equal idealist in loathing everything about that notion. So it is at this crossroad of life known as post-secondary graduation where I stand uncertainly poised to fight the banal and predictable life-path of a commerce graduate.

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Running buddies with ulterior motives

An hour after I arrived at the hostel, I realized that I was one of only two girls in a hostel full of boys (picture sketchy and slightly dirty men of all ages), and that my french is apparently barely understandable. Downside? I get a lot of yucky stares...flip side? When they cat call I don't understand what they are saying. Reminds me alot of Mexico. Anyways one of them eventually came up to me. He seemed a bit shy so I took it as a good sign. We started talking and he was patient enough to listen to me obliterate the French language, so when he asked if I wanted to go for a coffee I thought why not...I figured there wouldn't be too many people coming along in Blois willing to listen to a half-wit. Somehow coffee meant a bar where ironically I had a drink and he didn't (strict muslim). At the end of the night, he agreed to be my running buddy early the next morning and said he would show me an awesome park.

I was so stoked to finally have someone to run with that I guess I didn't totally think things through. We did end up at an amazing park, but after he made a really awkward pass at me (I have a feeling he was probably alot younger than I had originally thought), he proceeded to point vaguely in the direction of my hostel and said he should probably be on his way...as in you can take yourself home now that we didn't 'faire les trucs' like I thought we would. lol. What a dink. Found my way back, did some laundry (thought it was time after washing a few underwear in the sink in Paris), and then was off for some chateaux action:)

I'm heading out on a bike to see the rest of the chateaux tomorrow. Another friendly guy offered to come with so we'll see how that one goes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Haha, I love that you're the Queen Bee of your hostel! I trust you'll find a way to work that to your full advantage.

Good luck with the cycle partner and I wish I could be your running buddy in France! - in an air-conditioned gym, of course ;)